Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Days at Home

Well, back from the hospice and finding things very different. For example, I can't call a nurse when I need one. I can ring Leanne of course, but she is a problem she gets to me without a grumble, but once awake she finds it difficult to get back to sleep. Nurses do things in shifts so they are always available (mind you they can be found to grumble from time to time - it's probably because they are doing a double shift) I simply have to invent a way for getting through the night without assistance. Sigh!

Meanwhile, just for the nursing staff at the hospice, the dressing CAN be changed to a Statlock I now know this for sure because we did it today. Now all I have to figure out is how to clamp it off when required. At the moment we are trying my iron grip in a pinch.

We attended the 3 monthly review with our oncologist and he indicated that my bloods are better, not perfect, but better. That was pleasing, however when I jokingly asked if I was cured he gave me a fixed stare and advised I should be glad I am walking around. THAT was sobering!

Went to quickly meet up with one friend who works across the road at TCH and then it was home.

My hand is at present my sorest point and the drugs for keeping this pain under control are not working well, will have ask about increasing the dose or ???

We have been watching the news and seeing our superannuation going to the dogs while being amused by those ads on the TV that advise people to put their savings into superannuation. All this while at the same time we note how people in situations like mine need some hoard of cash to pay for medicines. Just two boxes of stuff are well over the $100. If those pharmaceutical companies get into problems as a result of the financial crisis I guess they will just raise their prices while we who need them, just have to pay for the privilege of staying alive. "It is always thus" says some sad voice from the ether behind me.

I think I will call it a night and get some sleep then on the other hand Marmaduke or whatever we are going to call the new pole on which hangs my feed will not be ready for hours yet. Sigh!

For those of the Jewish faith who are reading this blog Happy New Year!

Now to sleep, perchance to dream . . .

No comments: