Thursday, July 13, 2006

July 13th

Another day, another dose of radiation!

Well it just seems like that!

Managed to ask some people who belong to an oesophageal cancer discussion board about the vocal chord.

Even though some of their situations were different each responded with a definitive "Get an appointment with a speech therapist"

So being someone who actively listens to others with similar conditions and learns from their experience I arranged to have my 'case coordinator' start the process of getting me together with a speech pathologist.(well that's what they are called here!)

I even wrote to their association to see what their literature might have to say on the subject.

Anyway to cut a long story short - I have contacted the Speech Pathology department and an appointment has been arranged. Since this is at least a week into the future I did ask what it is that I have to do to maximse the chances that I will regain at least some of my ability to speak.

"Practise!" was the response. So far from resting the good old vocal chord I need to be exercising it. All in moderation of course.

You know there are times when you wish you had listened to your parents?

In my case I had a professional singing teacher in the family who always tried to teach me the basics of voice and breathing control. Like most children I did not take up the offer.

Boy, do I regret that now!

For those who are following this saga I regret that I have nothing more exciting to report as yet. Wait, there is one thing! Today was the tenth treatment which means that I am one third of the way through this nightmare!

Only twenty more to go!


Meanwhile I have also been told to get some blood work towards the end of the radio therapy so that the chemo therapy oncologist can ascertain whether my system can stand another round of his toxic chemicals.

On the one hand of course I hope that my system is up to it by that time. However there is a little portion inside that seems to be whispering: "No, no, not more of that stuff!"

Anyway nothing else of note at present so I will close and get some shut eye.

No comments: