Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Dim and Distant Past

Got a call from a long haired young fellow of around 15 or so (at least that was my memory of this chap) asking if I was the person who had been a youth worker back in the 1970's when he was last in touch with me.

You could have blown me over with a feather.

After a brief, but intensive "let's check each other out to ensure that neither of us gets hit with Internet identity scams" using Skype, I came upon a hair challenged individual with a great moustache, that bore a resemblance to the young man I had known all those years ago. I could figure that out because I still have pictures, now digitally renewed of those earlier times.

When I sent him a few of the photos, one of his comments proved how priceless the wisdom of time can be.

Here was this man, this father, being asked by his children why they could not have long hair, now surrounded by pictures of himself with long hair.

There is possibly no cure in the comments that I received from John, but they sure made me feel good to know that someone I had interacted with in the 1970's felt strongly enough about the difference our interaction had made to his life to chase me over the Internet to say as much nearly thirty years later. Wow!

I hope we can chat some more so I can learn about him and his life. It would be sad after all this time and effort if the contact was only a "one off."

Thanks John. You have made a difference in my life too. Give me more opportunities to listen to your stories, the brief bits I heard were fascinating.

No comments: