Monday, July 06, 2009

Yesterday - and the day before

The day before Sunday was a hoot. I was soundly trounced at Scrabble. The scores were great, the game was enormous fun, the concentration required was enormous, a younger dictionary would perhaps have helped.

Two friends came, especially to take my mind off things. I suspect it was with some reluctance as one (so I have been told) is in the situation where he is beaten at the game most, if not all of the time by the other. I have been curious about this state of affairs for a long time. The day before yesterday insight, understanding and clarity finally filled my being. My partner also complains about losing to me at this board game most of the time as well.

When you play most board games and Scrabble is no exception, the game rules require that the play is in a clockwise direction. This means that the person on your left hand side is left with either the opportunities or the blockages you have left for them. Some how, being a total noodle brain, I invited my guests to sit where they wanted and lo and behold, one sat on my left the other on my right. The one who complains of losing was - yep you guessed it, on my left.

I am not sure how he views the game, but he is great with words. He is less interested in positioning things and so less interested in leaving openings or even more usefully sometimes closing openings, so that the person following him in the game is actually prevented from using their letters in a high scoring way.

We have agreed to have at least two more games - one where he sits on my left, then another where the two highest scorer from that game sit and have a game together. If I can convince my partner to get into the act at this point then she can play with the person who lost the first game - so there are two single matches going on. If I am particularly fortunate there could be a fourth game where all four of us are engaged in a game together. Something that for who knows what reason we have not been able to arrange before.

The battle was so intense that I developed a high temperature and had to leave the field of battle, a loser and apparently wounded to boot. Let me add with a humongous grin, that this all took just an hour or so.

Elsewhere at home, there were other battles going on to prepare for yesterday - to those who participated in those battles - thank you - as you will read next your work was and is appreciated and certainly not in vain.

Yesterday was very very different. It was fabulous and for those who could enjoy the victuals tasty to boot.

It was filled with people. Two had come to stay with us the day before, some flew in from far away and some drove long distances over many hours. You all know who you are so thank you for being here. It was wonderful. It was a celebration of life. In my situation, what more can you want?

I saw our friends and relatives having a wonderful time and enjoying the food and drink that had been prepared - I hasten to acknowledge the days before yesterday with the assistance of many of those who now enjoying the results of their labours.

It was also tiring and stressful of course for those who had worked to make it happen but fabulous none the less.

Thanks to all who could come. For those who were unable to come because they were ill or had someone in their party who was ill - thank you for considering my state of health and making the sacrifice of staying away. You were greatly missed. I hope you are better or getting better and that we can catch up when my ability to receive visitors in between cycles of chemo and your health coincide.

More tomorrow, I hope.

2 comments:

Robert said...

we want to see pictures of the wedding!!!

LazKat said...

I enjoyed this post enormously ;-) . It was great to spend some time with you on the weekend!