Saturday, June 27, 2009

A good day Friday - today is going to be even better

Saturday, today, is going to be another good day.

I am feeling fabulous, and looking forward to getting up and about, walking, building back some leg muscle and finally spending some time with Leanne in a role that is not confined to a bed, an arm chair, a wheelchair etc.

It is amazing to me how a day without nausea can produce a feeling of well being, almost euphoria.

Yesterday, Leanne and I spent not just minutes, but hours undertaking real life activities like going into the market places near us to update bank related issues, take care of health related issues for Leanne, that inveterate favourite - medical bill related issues, clothing issues and in general getting out and about.

Such matters would not normally be within any view of a day that would be shared with others on a blog, they would merely be things you did because they were there to be done. These days, because of my situation, they are triumphs of achievement - at least for me.

My legs held up, my system actually coped with the workload and so on.

When we got home, I have to admit I collapsed into the arm chair in our lounge room and put my feet high on some cushions to try and get the swelling out of them. It took hours of course, but eventually they were being back to the sleek things they were meant to be.

I am certain that we, like the rest of the planet, were overwhelmed with the brouhaha that was made by the media concerning the death of Michael Jackson. I have to say I really enjoy and have enjoyed his music for many years and I did not expect that he would pass before I did. That said, what took place everywhere in the English speaking media world did seem to be an overkill response - was it a slow news day?

Meanwhile in Australia, we have seen a bloody fight between our Prime Minister, Treasurer and the leading lights of the opposition parties. This also is a brouhaha but one with some real impact on our lives here. The allegations, counter allegations, investigations, actions by the AFP or Australian Federal Police are all fascinating grist to the mill.

So what did Leanne and I do with all this?

What would a normal relatively well adjusted couple do, we turned to the video of course and having found the sense to borrow numerous videos from our local library, we selected the most appropriate one from among our borrowings - "Molliere".

Since this was about the playwright, actor, producer and director it served to indicate - at least to me - Leanne can speak for herself - that the bedrock of farce is not necessarily in the mind and skill of the playwright or author, but rather in the thinking and behaviour of the people that they encounter in their lives and then use with all their skills in sorry telling to bring to the attention of others..

The saddest, funniest, most complex and yet simple things that people think, say or do are the foundations of life and its intricacies as we know them.

NEW FLASH!

I am going to finally get assistance with showering, dressing and - yes - wait for it - getting up and about at last. It has been very difficult in the last day or two to keep to a schedule for not only the medications and other matters because Leanne's own medical issues have meant that she is physically less able to take care of my needs. We both hope that her pain is temporary and can be assisted with varied exercise and rest. Coming as this does at this particular time when there are some other major events in our household - known but to few others, this is not a great thing to happen.

However it is happening and I guess that the two of us will simply have to get on and cope with things or if necessary get people in to help further.

Perhaps more later today - but right now I would like to explore my physical self and not just sit at this computer desk like the public servant that I used to be. Being retired does have some real meaning and values - not least of these is not having to do the 8;30 - 4:51 (or whatever this has become)

I hope to be able to do more later.

In the interim, all you who know me please note - a phone call is not contagious so how about a call when you have the time and inclination?

Salut

Peter

No comments: