Monday, June 08, 2009

Endof 1st Cycle of Chemotherapy - Monday 8 June 2009

Apologies for the delay in writing the blog until today.

Peter had his second infusion of Taxotere on Tuesday last week. He was so weak and low on that day the nurses asked him whether he really wanted to go ahead with the second infusion and he said "What choice do I have?" to which the nurse replied "Well, sometimes it's about quality of life rather than quantity" and Peter's reply was "Just stick the needle into my arm!". A sentiment that I applauded, knowing Peter is so keen to continue to live and I am keen to continue to support him; the quantity versus quality issue seems clear-cut from a distance but when the option is to face death sooner it seems glib and irrelevant at that moment.

So the rest of the week Peter spent the majority of time in bed but seemed a little less nauseated that the week before, if that's possible. He's been keen to get up and spend time in his recliner chair in the family room while I buzz about doing all the things that need to be done. I noticed, however, that his leg muscles are getting smaller and he found it difficult to get out of his chair this evening without assistance. Apart from that, so far there has been no body rash but there is a battle with oral thrush (another side effect) which is not helped when Peter occasionally feels the need to refresh his mouth with lemonade or apple juice - as the sugars help the thrush to grow.

Meanwhile, luckily I've been able to continue his liquid food and that is keeping him in reasonable condition otherwise. Today I can see an improvement and he is watching television now. He doesn't have to start again until next Tuesday so I anticipate he will feel better each day during this coming week. He has said today he is missing human interaction again which I know means he is a little better as last week he could only point and moan for things he needed.

I have been keeping to the house for the majority of the time as Peter has been so sick, only heading out quickly to do key tasks. Also, given that the chemo makes him so prone to infections I have been keeping an informal quarantine and trying not to come into contact with people more generally. Problem is this means Peter is isolated from friends as well. But today is the last day when he is most prone to infections so I hope well friends will be able to visit this week.

Things have been bleak weather-wise with short, coldish (12 degrees C to about 15 degrees C), grey days which don't help Peter feel positive. As he always says" Why do I have to bear all this AND a Canberra winter at the same time!!" Too true Peter... we used to either work harder at work or head to Europe with the onset of a Canberra winter every second year and that was the best use of a Canberra winter I can think of, to tell the truth!

Meanwhile, I am gradually making the junk room back into a real bedroom but that has meant the rumpus room is now the junk room! Next step, is to clear the garage a bit and then move the stuff from the rumpus room to the garage so it has most of the junk! I have set a deadline of the end of this month to try to get that done but my thoughts are more active than my desire to get out into the garage.

Not much on this week apart from taking Peter to meet with 3 occupational Therapists about the pressure area on his right elbow.

Best wishes and special thoughts to our northern hemisphere friends who are on holidays or contemplating one. Our spirits are with you and I only wish Peter was healthy again and we could meet up with you somewhere warm, sunny, picturesque and historic with marvellous food!

Cheers for now - Leanne

1 comment:

LazKat said...

Good to hear that Peter is having some slightly better days. Let us know if we can do any tasks for you.