Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another AARGH moment or two.

I am finding myself technologically challenged when I see youngsters playing with their new toys and I guess that is as it should be for an old fogey now out to pasture. I have to say though that I wish I could still compete. Alas for that you need two hands and certainly lower levels of daily pain.

Still, there is the "excitement" of fighting various bureaucracies as they get my papers wrong, ring me in the middle of the day and ask if they can speak with George (my middle name), having angst about item numbers not being on an account sent to Medibank when they are actually there on the bill AFTER the item name etc AAARGH!! You see this is why we social workers were so good on the counters in at least one government Department years ago, we knew first hand the frustrations and had the skills to calm everyone down and get the thing fixed. If only there were real people, like SWs around instead of unending telephone messages inviting you to select from a spoken menu that does not suit your inquiry so you have to wait until all the options are exhausted and THEN finally, maybe, if you are lucky, you get a human at the end of the line you can actually talk to.

Now - finally, I also understand what was ailing all those 60+ folks who used to come and do business where I used to work. They were right to grumble and these days this individual thinks things are actually worse.

I am entitled to say that now that I have reached the magic age at which grumbling is OK.

Have - everyone then write and tell me about it. Even vicarious fun would be welcome at this point- better yet give me a call on Skype or Google Talk or the land line.

No comments: