Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday 20th July 2008

While the palliative care nurse is here replacing the syringe driver, I will write a few lines.

We have had a few quiet days following last week's frenzy which is good. Peter has spent most of the time sleeping but has also watched a couple of TV programs, which is a good sign. From tomorrow we will have the painters in to patch up some of the cracks that have appeared in the house during the drought and that will be a difficult day. I have put them off coming until 8.30am so I can have a bit of time to prepare for their arrival. Hopefully it will only take a day to do but I know it will be stressful for Peter.

On Wednesday I am expecting the electrician to come to install our extra power points to assist with all the extra equipment Peter needs and sensor lights; Thursday is an appointment to see Dr Austen, the radiation oncologist. So I don't expect we will have time to recuperate until Friday.

As for Peter, he has not gained any weight (in fact seems to have lost 30o grams but that could be due to the timing of the liquid food intake or bowel movements). He is starting to feel pain again now an hour or so before the nurses come, which we think may mean he is getting a bit used to the hydromorphone and may need a slightly greater dose for the same effect and that it is wearing off earlier. He has had a few disturbed nights when breaking out in sweat and feeling cold as a result so, I have had to buy in more flannelette pyjamas to back up the supply we had as he is going through 1 or 2 pairs a day now. I think I may have cleaned Canberra out of their supply as we have 8 pairs on the go now!

Breathing easily remains a problem and some days he is on the oxygen for almost 24 hours and others it is only a couple of hours. He only had it for a few hours yesterday but had to have it for the full day, the day before that.

I had the opportunity to have our lovely volunteer, Marg, come over for a few hours on Thursday, which allowed me the time to meet a friend for a quick Malaysian Laksa lunch and then get to the bank, medicare office, chemist and hardware store for some much needed supplies. It's good to know she will be available about once a week for that. I haven't yet had the opportunity to do anything more cultural or relaxing with the time but maybe that will come in the future. I can't really leave Peter before 1pm on any day as there is so much to be done, so afternoons work best for those minor excursions.

I am fine, apart from a fall in the house on wet floors on Wednesday. Only a jarred back and and a sore knee and hands. More concerning was that Peter tottered out to see what had happened, as I must have cried out, and then we were both limping back to the bedroom together, each more concerned about the other - which was quite funny in hindsight, but very worrying at the time! We are both very aware that we can't afford for anything adverse to happen to me or we are both well and truly "stuffed".

Meanwhile, my mother has reported that her radiotherapy treatment has been fine to date and she has not stopped cooking masses of cakes and pies, spring cleaning the house and generally working full on at all times. I really hope they get the remnants of this cancer and she recovers with no recurrence.

No other news to report so I will sign off. Au revoir - Leanne

No comments: