Friday, January 18, 2008

PET SCAN NEWS

For those who have been waiting with bated breath for the news here it is:
An FDG PET-CT was performed from the base of brain down to proximal femora. A low dose contrast CT was also performed for attenuation correction and localisation.

SCAN FINDINGS
When compared with the last PET scan from 08/10/2007, there appeared to have been slight reduction in the extent of increased FDG uptake in the right infraclavicular and right upper paratracheal region - and stable uptake in the left retrotracheal region corresponding to soft tissue thickening on the CT scan. There has also been no significant change of low-grade uptake at the previous surgical site in the mid -inferior mediastinum and gastric pull up region.

There was no new focus of increased FDG uptake to suggest interval disease.

CONCLUSION
There has been a slight reduction in the extent of uptake in the right. intraclavicular and right upper paratracheal region since the last PET scan from 08/10/2007, more in keeping with benign reactive/inflammatory uptake following previous treatments. There is no evidence of progressive disease or new focus of FDG-avid disease seen to suggest definite recurrence.
I don't know how others will read this - but I read it to mean that I have an explanation for the pains I have been suffering from over the last few months namely inflammation of the scar tissues left by the radiation therapy.

If the pain means that I can continue to my next birthday and perhaps beyond then I know that I will have to make a change to my lifestyle. I will have to study the writing of people who are masochists and learn to actually enjoy the pain - it's the least I can do to continue to find ways of enjoying life!

Of course this does NOT mean that I am not trying to find some ways of coping with the pain. In the first place I have sought and received advice which suggests that I need to adjust my work station and so I am being fitted with a chair that has every fancy doodad that you can think of including a pump up lumbar support. I am also attending a physiotherapist to ensure that whatever CAN be manipulated to reduce or remove the pain is being done and over and above that I have taken the liberty of using old fashioned methods for treating pain which is of course the hot pack option.

I will let people know how this is going.

In the interim I have to say that while I am quite uncomfortable some of the time I am also really glad to be alive and so try very hard NOT to complain. Well OK at least not complain too much!

No comments: