Tuesday, August 01, 2006

August 1 update

Pete's Points
Just a quick update on this morning's news. Went to the speech therapist the treatment and my oncologist. All went well. I guess my oncologist (the chemo therapy one) expects me to survive at least until December as he instructed I make a new appointment to see him then as part of the renewed three moths scans.

Now without meaning to be disrespectful you do understand that since most doctors expect to get their fees I suspect he would not have asked me to make an appointment if he thought I would not be there in four month's time. (Just joking!)

The speech pathologist today was fantastic in explaining what I am doing wrong and has given me a new set of exercises which she hopes will increase the power of my voice. I am afraid that the advice is related to something I learnt in the process of having been a manager once - it was essentially a restatement of the old adage of doing more with less!

After all only one vocal chord is working. She recommends that I do NOT use forced air to try and speak over noise, but to actually do the opposite and use less air to try and increase the power of my voice by increasing the resonance rather than the air flow - a clear cut case of doing more with less if ever I heard one.

So if anyone come by my place and hears me practising my 'WHOO" and of course the rolled 'R' will get some additional thrills as I now try and increase the level of resonance by visualising whatever I have to get the effect where I can feel my head throb with the sounds.

That really is all for today.

No comments: